Sunday, April 19, 2015

The 'Day Job' And Food Collide...!

We have alot going on! Often times when a person states that they "have alot going on" people assume one of two things either you're doing it big or it's not good. We're good and it's good stuff.

For those who follow me on Facebook (personal side) know that I recently landed a multi-client subcontract. No sooner than I wanted to share my ideas about the whole turning this blog into a springboard, this project comes along and the crazy thing is how it ties into the larger scope of things. It's turning out to be a little more involved than I initially thought. I haven't really had time to blog or make anything post worthy until earlier this week. So that post is coming but I have held it off while I get my bearings especially in lieu of this new project.

So what are we doing? What's the scoop behind the operation? The head behind Foodie Finances is also the Treasurer of Gulf to Bay Food Truck Association. She's also co-owner with her husband for American Wiener. Foodie Finances helps food trucks get their permits, licenses, sales tax and use set up, also aids with getting up to health code, and mentors rookie food truckers for best practices in daily operations management. Though we share the same degree (BS in Accounting), Bookkeeping is not her stronger suit but rather the food truck set up consulting, daily operations and financial management. So, that's where I came in as a Bookkeeping and Accounting consultant when she decided to sub out; I also provide consultations to her on best practices in the field, the best tools and software to use, industry standards, trends and news.

I have been contracting myself out independently the last 3 years as a Bookkeeping Consultant under my own business Taylor Tax and Bookkeeping.When it comes to bookkeeping contracts I don't discriminate against industries because I don't want to limit myself. I'm willing to work with anyone and learn their processes. Then, over time improve their systems based on fine tuning their needs. Accounting is a fundamental language for business, built on principles and rules for the tracking and analysis of financial records. So, once you have it down, you can adjust to whatever industry you end up in. I have served quite a variety of industries already in just a few years CPA firm, hair salon, graphic designers, publishing companies, government contractors, information systems and technology, home improvement contractors and now food trucks. I like it, I get to use my educational background, no sales, no cold calling, no door to door, no commission, no ladder or pyramid, and get to set my own hours.

This latest project came along at a time where I was considering throwing in the towel; and possibly moving on. I even admitted that at our last meeting. The 'day job' as I have dubbed it, is tedious, and can be very time consuming if you don't know what you're doing. It's really like sitting down and working a jigsaw puzzle. I was getting frustrated. Of course, I enjoy the work, I've always loved puzzles since childhood. I'm very good at what I do. Finding work is relatively easy. However, finding people who won't take advantage of you, who won't treat your skills and talent like an "All You Can Eat Buffet", and who understand they don't come cheap or wholesale is a whole other story! And that last bit was the thorn and source of frustration (at times).

Anyways, moving forward, I was beyond excited because I am a serious foodie of course. There was also the plus that I would not have to be glued to an office, but serve the clients remotely. Thank God for technology and resources like Right Networks. The food truck industry is gaining momentum in popularity, creativity, and culinary prowess. The industry is changing, the bar has been raised as chefs are trading jobs in brick and mortars for mobile kitchens.

Okay so this is a food blog right!? Here's what I made this past week...


I think I perfected barbecue ribs around or at least close to the same year that I perfected my "Man Trap". I remember after making them for the 1st time without a #Fail my mother asked me "Do you think you would be able to do it again?" and from there I knew I had a #Winner. Just a couple of years back an old close friend asked for the rib recipe after having them at my daughter's birthday BBQ. And when I listed my "Master Blend" she was taken aback "Oh gosh! I didn't know it was that involved!". So today, I have slimmed it down and present to you "The Basic Rib Rub"



The Basic Rib Rub 

2 1/2 Tblspns Onion Powder
2 1/2 Tblspns Garlic Powder
1 1/2 - 2 Tspns of Cumin
2 Tspns of Kosher Salt
1 Tblspn of Smoked Paprika
1 Tblspn of Chili Powder
2 Tspns of Black Pepper (If you have a a pepper grinder fresh cracked black works best!)
1/2 Tblspn of Cinnamon

The Wet Finish (No Gutter Brains Please)

2 Tblspns of Soy sauce (one on each side)
1/4 Cup of Oil (Vegetable or Canola will do)
1/4 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar


You want to mix all of the ingredients to the rib rub together first (in a bowl or ziplock). Next, make sure to work the rub in really good (use gloves), make sure there aren't any clumps. Treat it like lotion! And be sure to get both sides. You will probably have some leftover that you can keep in a cool dry place. Before baking or marinating overnight, add 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce to each side. Followed by a 1/4 cup of oil (spread evenly over both sides) and the same with the cider vinegar.

If you are baking like I had chosen to do so this time, let your ribs get a good sear for 15-20 mins at 450 degrees. Then bake at 350-375 degrees for the remaining cook time. I usually bake ribs in the oven for at least 50 minutes. The foiling method works great to keep your ribs from drying out after they get a good sear (covering with foil). However, when baking I will usually just pour 1 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the baking tray to keep my ribs moist (without foil).

The finished product...

Nice tender, juicy and flavorful ribs!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment